Myths/Republicans didn't protest when Obama won the election
< MythsJump to navigation Jump to search
|Myth: Republicans didn't protest when Obama won the election|
The argument goes that Republicans didn't protest when Barack Obama won the presidential election (which he did twice: 2008 and 2012), therefore protests against Donald Trump's victory in the 2016 election are unwarranted or unfair.
Yes, they did. A lot.
A Google search for the period of 2008-08-01 to 2009-01-19 (roughly the peak campaign period through immediately prior to inauguration) shows over 52,000 results. Among the results on the first page are:
- 2008-08-01 Protesters Interrupt Obama Speech (WSJ) "Barack Obama's town hall meeting Friday on the economy was interrupted by protesters."
- 2008-08-20 Clinton creates 'whip team' to quell anti-Obama protests
- 2008-09-08 Protesters Interrupt Obama Event (CBS) "Barack Obama's rally at the University of Miami was briefly interrupted today after a dozen ..."
- Obama Rally Crashed By Protesters
- Protesters interrupt Obama (CNN) "Protesters holding posters saying Sen. Barack Obama was endorsed by the KKK are escorted from his speech"
- 2008-11-09 Michigan KKK Member Protests Obama Election "On the day after Obama's election, Michigan Ku Klux Klan member Randy Gray took to the streets to protest Obama's election and what Gray sees as the ..."
- 2008-11-15 Obama election spurs race threats, crimes (NBC) "Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America."
- 2008-11-12 Heated rhetoric against Obama continues, sparking concerns of violence "The incident sparked a protest rally that drew some 500 students as well as ..."
- no date:
- How many days did the riots and protest last after President Obama won both his elections? About eight years. Republicans regularly met on capital hill to pass legislation that they knew ... Truly, this is the most troubling thing about our latest election.
This doesn't include numerous lesser incidents which might be described as "protest" against Obama but not exactly "a protest".
- 2016-11-24 To Those Trumpsters Who Say, "We Didn't Complain When Your Side Won," Let's Review.: much pictorial evidence
This page is heavily based on research by Google+ user Edward Morbius.