Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Republican Party's "solutions" to the problems of poverty seem to boil down primarily to blaming the poor for their own situation, i.e. no solution at all. This basic philosophy is sold using a variety of euphemisms:
- "personal responsibility"
- welfare "creates dependency"
- being on welfare is undignified (apparently more undignified than being homeless)
- not receiving welfare is "ennobling" 
The justification for this position seems to boil down to a belief that life is fair, and therefore those who have fallen on hard times must have brought it on themselves. When confronted with the accusation that this is "victim-blaming", Republicans and conservatrolls tend to confirm it by saying that they don't believe in victims.
- /2015 Food Stamp cuts: so far, this is only rumored...